If you are interested in contributing to the defence and progress of human rights and want to join our team, welcome!
Our mandate, the work we do, and the locations we work in, require the team to have diverse skills, empathy with the poor, a human rights perspective and the ability to work in stressful conditions. HRF commits to nurturing its staff and will provide opportunity to acquire new skills.
Most of our work is designed to be online, including team meetings, training sessions, and national and international programmes. All team members work from home, and come to the office only if unavoidable, depending on the government advisories and permissions due to the Corona pandemic.
Coordinators typically have 8+ years of experience and Associate Coordinators have 3+ years of experience. Interns have up to three year’s of experience. The CTC ranges from Rs 180,000 to 600,000 (annual). Freshers can apply for paid internships for up to a year, which can be extended on mutual agreement.
Team HRF comprises of six women and four men with complementary skills, seven of whom are based in Chennai, and one each in Gummidipoondi, Nagapattinam, and Bangalore. Our Managing trustee-cum-director, deputy director, senior coordinator, and all coordinators are women.
We have eight staff in project teams in New Delhi, Imphal, Mumbai, and Ranchi, and 40 volunteers based out of all 38 districts in Tamil Nadu.
Our team is dedicated, smart-working and professional, despite our salaries being lower than most, frequently working up to 12 hours a day, sometimes seven days a week, multi-tasking under tight deadlines and no known ‘benefits’. Even for a sector notorious for low pay, long hours, and high stress, HRF is an outlier in all three parameters. A sense of humour and a lighter take on life helps.
HRF strives to foster an inclusive and diverse team and workspace, with a focus on historically underserved and under-represented communities. We do not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, colour, sex or sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, national or ethnic origin, political beliefs, veteran status, or disability in admission to, access to, treatment in, or employment in its programmes or activities.
There are always opportunities in HRF, and we look forward to welcoming new team members. If you don’t find what you are looking for below but would like to join us, do write to email@example.com. We can explore possibilities together.
We reply to emails within a week.
Positions are open till filled.
- Coordinator (administration)
- Coordinator (communication and fund-raising)
- Associate coordinator (communication and fund-raising)
- Associate coordinator (administration and finance)
- Associate coordinator (programmes)
- Email your application with a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning the position you are applying for in the subject line. Please include your latest CV, two references, expected salary, and how soon you can join.
- The selection process normally includes an interview and a written test (or writing sample) of the level expected in the position applied for (unless it is a field position).
- A relieving order from the previous employer is required.
- All appointments are subject to a probation period of up to six months. The probation period is a sort of ‘look in’ period on both sides, to best fit the person and responsibilities. It could mean anything from flexi time to thematic specialisation, or full time, part time, or short term, fixed term, or long term contractual appointment, or even reappraising career goals.
- During the probation period, either side can opt out with written intimation without a notice period.
- HRF and its programmes are safe spaces. We practice zero tolerance towards any form of discrimination, abuse, or violence.