Human Rights Advocacy and Research Foundation (HRF) is a non-profit, secular, civil society institution working at the regional level for the promotion and protection of human rights.
Who We are
Human Rights Advocacy and Research Foundation (HRF) is a non-profit, secular, civil society institution working for the promotion and protection of human rights since 1993, combining professionalism and volunteerism.
The Foundation enables socially excluded communities and vulnerable sections of society to exercise their constitutional rights, amplifies their voice, and enhances their participation in decision-making through demystifying laws, policies, budgets, and state mechanisms, building their capacity, and supporting them to deepen democracy to build inclusive, sustainable, and resilient communities, mindful of intersectionality.
We broaden space for civic engagement and support human rights defenders to promote a culture of human rights to secure a life with dignity for all at all times.
HRF works to promote a clean and safe ecosystem for sustainable development and governance and strives for power that is decentralised, democratic, transparent and accountable.
The mission is to strive for a society that
- Protects and promotes the social, economic, political and natural rights of individuals and collectives in a manner that protects the environment.
- Governs it’s affairs in a consultative, participatory and inclusive manner.
- Ensures equality before law and is committed to eradication of all forms of discrimination against women, children, Dalits, minorities, working class, Adivasis, etc.
HRF works to empower communities, monitor the monitors, and defend the defenders. To that end we:
- Promote an appreciation and observance of human rights values and standards.
- Empower people through human rights awareness and assertion programmes and through participatory institution building.
- Stimulate a third world perspective on human rights shaped by the voices of the socially excluded communities.
- Promote public policies and legislations for the promotion of human rights.
- Foster research into local, national, and international human rights issues.
- Promote psycho-social help, legal services and relief and rehabilitation services for victims of human rights violations.
- Defend human rights defenders and human rights organisations.
- Strengthen multi stakeholder platforms and partnerships for dialogue and engagement.
The core of our work is as a resource cum research organisation disseminating information, and facilitating multi-sectoral dialogue and engagement. As part of our research effort HRF reviews and monitors government plans and policies, schemes, budgetary allocations and functioning of public institutions and laws for the promotion of grassroots democracy.
The Foundation works to promote the educational, economic, and cultural well being and welfare of the people of India and to work for the promotion and protection of human rights and sustainable development especially those of disadvantaged and invisibilised communities, irrespective of caste, creed, race, community or religion.
The Foundation provides legal, strategic, and moral support to individuals and groups towards asserting their human rights and to gain redress from the state and private institutions.
2017 - 1997
2016 - 2015
Team HRF comprises of seven women and four men with complementary skills, eight of whom are based in Chennai, and one each in Gummidipoondi, and Bangalore. Our Managing trustee-cum-director, deputy director, senior coordinator, and all coordinators are women. Additionally we have 40 volunteers based out of all 38 districts in Tamil Nadu.