Back Ground of the case:
On 06/05/2014 R.Jayvel, S/o Raja aged 35 years, a newspaper vendor at Villupuram railway station was arrested by Villupuram railway police regarding a passenger’s cellphone and money theft case. Next day (7th May 2014) Jayvel was taken to Villupuram District Government Hospital at Munidiyampakkam by the railway police wherein he was pronounced brought dead by the duty doctor. A fact finding team was constituted by Campaign for Custodial Justice and Abolition of Torture. They conducted fact finding on 19/05/2014 and 20/05/2014.
- Victim Jayvel was a newspaper vendor at Villupuram Railway station. He was doing this job for the past 8 years without license. Jayvel continued his business by bribing the railway police. Every month Jayvel paid Rs 1000/- as bribe to Villupuram Railway police. In April, victim Jayvel has sent a letter to Tamil Nadu Chief Minister’s cell alleging harassment by Villupuram Railway Police. Victim Jayvel was beaten and taken into custody from Villupuram railway station on 6th May 2014 by Villupuram Railway Police. There are several eye witnesses for this. But in the FIR No: 26/2014 registered by Villupuram Railway
- Police, it is shown as victim Jayvel was apprehended on 7th May 2014 which is totally false.
- Food vendor Durai was also taken into custody on 6th May 2014 by the Villupuram railway police regarding a small scuffle. He had seen Jayvel being mercilessly tortured by Inspector Vasudeva, Constables Thirukumaran, Lokesh and two other unknown police personnel.
- Early morning around 4 0‘ clock Durai saw Jayvel lying down unconcisious. Constables came and tried to wake him up but Jayvel didn’t respond. So when the constables tried to lift him Jayvel’s body collapsed and fell down. There was excrete from his body which was and indication of Jayvel’s death.
- When Jayvel died in the police custody due to torture, Durai was immediately released and let to go home without filing any case against him. It means Durai was held in illegal custody for nearly one whole day.
- In the FIR the complainant G.Vasudevan, Inspector,Villupuram Railway police station has stated that victim Jayvel was alive and talking while he was taken to Mundiyampakkam G.H. But the death report clearly says Jayvel died 26 hours before the postmortem. In other words it is evidently clear that Jayvel died in the early hours of 7th May 2014.
For full report contact HRF