On the Occasion of World Fisheries Day….
Towards Strengthening Coastal Rights Defenders…
Nagapattinam and Karaikal Fishing People’s Conference 17-11-2014, Nagapattinam
Towards Strengthening Coastal Rights Defenders… Nagapattinam and Karaikal Fishing People’s Conference was held on 17-11-2014 in Nagapattinam organised by Coastal Action Network (CAN) Supported by Social Need Education and Human Awareness (SNEHA) Human Rights Advocacy and Research Foundation (HRF), Legal Aid to Women Trust (LAW TRUST), Society for Integrated Rural Development (SIRD). Nearly 120 fishing people both men and women participated and shared their issues and demands.
Important Key points were discussed and shared:
- Challenges faced by Fishing People in the Sea, Coastal, water bodies, Sea bed
- Towards Strategies for building & Strengthening
- Coastal Rights Defenders
- Why CRZ 2011 should be withdrawn? CRZ Maps 2013
- Impact of Mega Projects situated on the Coast and in the Ocean on fishing People livelihood & Coastal ecology
- Transparency of EIA & Public Hearing Process
- Atrocities by Srilankan Army including Death penalty on TamilNadu Fishing People
- Protecting Rights of traditional fishing People/ Fishworkers
- Resolutions and Strategies for Strengthening Coastal defenders
- Status of the cases filed in Green Tribunal
- Challenges faced by Women fish workers due to new fishing Policies and projects by government
- Coastal Zone Management Land & Map
HRF & CAN formed around 30 Coastal defenders in Nagapattinam and Karaikal District to protect their Homeland and Fishing Rights.