To be forming coastal defenders in Ramanathapuram District. Each minimum 5 persons including youth and women in every coastal villages to protect their housing, common lands, fishing rights and coastal ecology. This Conference was organised by Human Rights Advocacy and Research Foundation, Ramanathapuram Fish workers Trade Union behalf of Coastal Action Network. Morethan 64 men and Women were participated.
Towards Strengthening Coastal Rights Defenders, Kanchipuram District Fishing People’s Convention held on 7th November 2014, Mahabalipuram, Organised by COASTAL ACTION NETWORK, Supported by Human Rights Advocacy and Research Foundation. Nearly 58 fishing women and men participated.
Main Themes were discussed in the Convention:
- Challenges Faced by fishing people along the Coast, Coastal water bodies and the sea / sea bed
- Coastal Zone Management Plans and Maps 2013
- Protecting the rights of traditional fishing people and fish workers
- Why should CRZ 2011 be withdrawn
- Environment Impact Assessment and Public Hearing
- Impact of Nuclear Power Plants on fisheries peoples health, livelihood and land
- Status of cases filed by CAN to protect fishing people’s livelihood and ecology
- Challenges faced by Women fish workers due to new fishing Policies and projects by government.